We all have those people in our lives that are more difficult than others. Often, they cause great frustration and can be absolutely maddening. You may or may not be able to avoid them. In my case, I deal with one particular person professionally who hides behind their computer. They are quick to be sharp tongued, hateful, and even downright demeaning in their email responses. They don’t care who they copy to see it either. But, in person they are completely different. I’d even go so far as to say nice, and willing to work with you. I truly can’t figure it out! It’s almost like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde mentality.
I used to be extremely timid and shy, but over the years as I have aged, I have learned to become more confident in myself. I now stand my ground if I have all the facts. Where I once would have let someone get the best of me, now I have no qualms about putting them in their place, professionally and respectfully of course, but in a matter in which they know I mean business.
So, if you are facing a consistently difficult person in your life, maybe these 5 suggestions will be of help to you:
- Don’t be a doormat, stand up for yourself, but don’t be a jerk about it!
- Don’t let a bad situation bring out the worst in you. Stay strong and choose to be positive.
- Rage on the inside, but choose your words wisely.
- Keep moving forward. Don’t let a difficult person hold you back personally or professionally.
- Remember, “You Got This!”